"Pitch and Putt" Golf
The residents of Allesley and those of the nearby modern
estate known as Allesley Park can enjoy the wide open spaces of Allesley Park
with its children's swings, sports pitches, "pitch and put" golf course, and
The Park was formerly part of a deer park created in the
13th century by Henry de Hastings probably about 5 times larger than the
present park. Later it became a large "gentleman's" farm of over 400 acres
tenanted from the Church, but was purchased in the 1960's by the Coventry City
Council in order to preserve it for Public Open Space.
On higher ground to the south of the Hall is the ancient
earthwork believed to be the site of Allesley Castle. No actual proof has been
found of the existence of a Castle apart from a few small references in old
The original mansion known as Allesley Hall was built as a
private house in the mid 17th Century, but has been rebuilt twice since then.
(Shown with the kind permission of
Coventry Libraries & Information Services
Later it was purchased by Thomas Wyles who set up a boys
boarding school there (Allesley Park College) from 1848 to 1886 before being
demolished in 1908.
Wyles and wife Anne (nee Ford)
(Photo by kind permission of Anne
Ogle-Leonard from Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA, descendant of Thomas and
There are some more old photographs of Allesley Hall on
(Go to the Search Pictures then ... type "Allesley Hall" into the lowest box).
At the centre of the Park is the present Allesley Hall,
built in 1909 as a private residence for the Iliffe family. In the 1950's it
was a Convalescant Home but is now a Residential Home.
At the side is the
old Coach House and Stables but these are now converted into Sheltered flats
for elderly residents.
Behind those outbuildings is the 200 year old Walled Garden.
Protected by its high walls it would have kept the Hall stocked with vegetables
and fruit of many kinds.Like many such places it suffered from neglect and
vandalism but work is now in hand to recreate a Georgian kitchen garden.
The perimeter path is particularly popular in all seasons
forming an excellent "constitutional" in pleasant surroundings, as well as for
more serious events.
Lady Godiva Half-marathon
Keen half-marathon runners strung out along the track (Lady
Godiva Half-Marathon Coventry 2006)
The main approach nowadays to the Park is from the east via
the lovely avenue of Allesley Hall Drive, but years ago it was from the north
and the house faces that direction.
Allesley Hall Drive
Back to top